Thursday, November 25, 2010

thankful.

*hit the play button on my music player before starting this post. just do it.*
Happy Thanksgiving! I'm headed off to Heber in just a while to have the best Thanksgiving dinner on the planet (fact) but I am just laying in bed now and thinking about all the things I'm grateful for.

  • Opportunities. I am amazed at how much lays in front of me, right at my fingertips, and all I have to do is reach out an inch and take it. I am so blessed to have the opportunity to go to school, to do what I want to do, to choose what I want to learn. There are a lot of people in the world who don't have a fraction of the opportunities I have. And I truly am thankful for them.
  • Words. And under this heading fall some of the most important things in my life. Books, scripture, the ability to write. The power that the right words have over me is unmatched by anything else in the world.
  • London. I will never stop being grateful for the time that I spent there and most especially the people that I met. You changed me! I can still walk down Palace Court and through Hyde Park in my minds eye, and I hope I always will be able to. 
  • My family. My mom's wonderful example and friendship. My dad's constant guidance and love. James' quiet strength and constantcy. Jony's good heart and love of life. I adore my family. And Wilson. Wilson is the special boy who everyone loves and who loves everyone. If there is ever a terrible fire, my parents have my permission to save Wils before me. I have longer legs than he does - chances are I'll make it out alive.
  • All of the people I've met that have changed my life. I heard a quote - probably at church I think - "We are the sum of the people that we meet." And while I don't think that's all there is to a person, I think it is true. Most of me is from the people I've met. London. Roommates. High School friends. People from Work. Arlen. Bryson. Family. I know I'm who I am today because I knew you. 
  • Musica. I love music. I'm going to geek out a little here and say that I love Broadway. It is way more fun to sing than most of the radio. Hymns. Choir songs. Carrie Underwood. Whitney Houston. T Swift. Muse. Fall Out Boy. James Morrison. Enrique. Ingrid. Chicago. Christmas albums. Mo Tab.
  • Change. There has been a common thread through many of these things. I am thankful that we don't always stay in the same place. Even if the place is comfortable and pleasant. Change is what makes life interesting, it's what makes meaning and adventure out of the mundane. 
Sorry. That is super long. But I'm feeling sentimental today. I'm thankful for all of these things. I'm thankful for the concept of gratitude. One time, in my first semester of Freshman year, cultivating "an attitude of gratitude" (not my fault that it rhymes so nicely) changed my life. I'm grateful for that. Okay, big one:
  • I'm Mormon. For me, this equals Jesus Christ is the biggest part of my life. I am grateful for Him. Words (words, that I rely on, that I love so much) fail me when I try to explain totally why. But it's because I feel His presence "when I'm in my own Gethsemane, He knows that place" and I have learned about his undying, unyielding, complete love for me. I'm His little sister, and my favorite way to think of Him is as an elder brother. A brother that will walk with me all the time, who will sit up with me at night when I'm scared or sad or lonely, who will come with me to the toughest test I have to face because He already has.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING! I hope your days is full of thanks too!

And now we get to fully embark on the Christmas season! Hoo-rah!

No comments:

Post a Comment