Wednesday, October 27, 2010

S.N.O.W.

The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event.  You go to bed in one kind of a world and wake up in another quite different, and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found? J.B. Priestley


So here it comes. Half of you are going to hate me, and half of you know exactly what I'm talking about.




I love snow. I love snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes. And silver white winters (that melt into springs, but that part's not important just now). I love the sound it makes - it makes the air thick and quiet. I love that when you step on it, the sound is halfway between a door hinge and a groan. In fact, I really agree with Lorelai






Just to prove my point, we have some snow quotes. 


"And finally Winter, with its bitin', whinin' wind, and all the land will be mantled with snow."
Roy Bean (check out this guy. he is the raddest baddest thing you will ever see. here's a sneaky peak to get the party started)


"Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather."  John Ruskin


"Is it snowing where you are? All the world that I see from my tower is draped in white and the flakes are coming down as big as pop-corns. It's late afternoon - the sun is just setting (a cold yellow colour) behind some colder violet hills, and I am up in my window seat using the last light to write to you." 
— Jean Webster (Daddy Long Legs)



"A few feathery flakes are scattered widely through the air, and hover downward with uncertain flight, now almost alighting on the earth, now whirled again aloft into remote regions of the atmosphere." 
— Nathaniel Hawthorne (this guys is bad-aye.I like him a lot.And he seems complimentary to snow right here. bravo, nate.)



The snow doesn't give a soft white damn whom it touches.  e.e. cummings (this is for all y'all who don't like snow. and it is not really negative toward snow, it just shows snow in all its thugness. Snow don't care. Snow does what snow wants to do. Bad-aye number 2.)


And finally: Watch this. I bet you a dollar it's worth-while. ... but I haven't watched it yet. 


*P.S. I am starting #4 today. Yikes. I am Speed Racer through the binding.


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE SNOW GILMORE GIRLS AND HARRY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post makes me like snow. Now that is good writing my friend.

    ReplyDelete