Friday, May 14, 2010

cross that off my bucket list.


This week we went on a 3 day trip. It was pretty awesome but I need a weekend in which I do not step foot inside a cathedral.

Some things from the trip:

  • I have lost all faith in Stuart. [Stuart is our bus driver] Oh, how the mighty have fallen.
  • The back seat of the bus is the best seat of the bus.
  • Exeter smells bad.
Monday we went to the British Museum - for the record it has not lost it's charm. It is the raddest baddest. There is so much to see. It's immense.


Tuesday we boarded the coach. I still believed in Stuart. Still loved him. We went to Chawton, which is where Jane Austen lived when she wrote her novels. I maybe had  to buy a book there. Maybe it's Emma.


As this was the table she allegedly wrote on, I was pretty excited about it. It kind of felt like a pilgrimage or something like that. Something pretty reverential for an reader like yours truly.


From there we went to Winchester Cathedral + the Great Hall. The Great Hall is where there is a huge wooden painting of the "Knights of the Round".

We went to Bath from there. Bath is pronounced "B - ah(like you're scared) - th" if you are American and "B- ahh(like you just got into a hot tub) - th" if you're from England. We just sound weirdy if we try and say "Yeah, I went to Bahhth today."

This is a street in Bath.


At Bath we saw the Roman Bath's - they are so cool! There are all these chambers for sauna's and then the main pool which was so beautiful. All of these places are so overwhelming back to back to back, but if I can try to imagine what life was like when the Roman Bath was used in it's original sense I am in love. I love all of the history I am finding.

There was also the Royal Crescent which was beautiful. I will find my hard -core picture and put it up here.

Then we went to our Youth Hostel. I had never stayed at a hostel before, so I was really apprehensive and the pillows and mattress .. I just could not even think about. Because ew.
We all stayed up and smashed in one of the little halls and were clamorous, had a massage train, and told stories.

Wednesday we got on the road and headed to Glastonbury Cathedral and the Tor. The Cathedral was in ruins and our Priest was kind of weirdy but it was neat. The TOR, tho! Ah, the Tor was so cool. It was the longest hike ever to get there, but the view was spectacular. You can see for miles in every direction. The Tor is apparently where st. Michael slayed... slew? whatever... killed a dragon.


Then we went to Wells Cathedral. This has been my favorite so far. The ceiling was painted, it was gorgeous. The bathrooms were so rad and the water in the sinks was really warm. This is a luxury because all the Cathedrals are so cold.

That night we were in Ilfracombe, a town on the shore. It was here that I had the BEST Italian food of my life - at Giovanni and Luca's. Ooooooh my. If you're ever in Ilfracombe, drop by. Say hi to Luca for me.

There views from Ilfracombe are phenom.



Thursday, the next morning, we had the grossest breakfast of all time - poor people who eat "traditional english breakfast" I was not pleased with it. BUT on the way over, total creeper called me "ginger"!! I wish it had not been smelly old man, but I am soooo glad I've been called "ginger". It was one of my goals for the whole excursion.

We left Ilfracombe and went to Tintagel (the ruins of an old Castle on the Cliffs). If I thought Ilfracombe's views were incredible, I don't know what to call the views from Tintagel. Merlin's cave is on the beach, and they think this is where King Arthur was born.
(don't believe it, everything King Arthur is totally fabricated)


From Tintagel we went to Exeter. As we drove into town there was the nastiest smell. It was not only on the bus because we looked outside and the people on the street had their  shirt cuffs over their mouths as well. It was nast, just trust me.

The Cathedral was pretty, and the shopping in Exeter was great! If you ever want to go to a town with history and modernity, check out Exeter. The Cathedral had a lot of patrons, a lot of old women and a few old men. I will never forget the old English woman sitting the Quire. She was the sweetest, saddest creature.

We then had a four and a half hour bus ride. We got to be really good friends. (Fish love poop, something that I did not know until yesterday).

When we finally got home, though, it felt like home. I was so relieved. I am exhausted, but I've got to get going. Time feels weird here. It feels like I've always been here, but also like I just barely got here. I am feeling blessed and grateful lately, people. I am happy here. I really love the people I'm around.

LOVE from London

P.S. You might have noticed that there are few pictures. Yeah my camera died right after the Jane Austen House. I will be stealing others' pictures, not to worry.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh!!! did you watch persuasion with me?? with captain wentworth and it took place in Bahhth? If not, we MUST watch. I'm so glad you are having a good time!!!

    ReplyDelete