Saturday, May 15, 2010

Chelsea Walk

I took a walk through Chelsea. It was pretty darn beautiful and historic. 

This is the Michelin Building, constructed in 1910. Yes, that is a stained glass window of the Michelin Man. 


Nell Gwyn House - where the rich and famous live.


This is Number 7 St. Leonard's Terrace. Home of Sir Laurence Olivier and 007. Yes, this is where Mr. Bond hangs his hat after he saves the world. 


So, our book says that Bram Stoker (author of Dracula which I just read and actually liked pretty well) lived in Number 19. But the plaque was on the building next door. Curious. I think the red door is more Mr. Stoker's style. 

 
So there is scaffolding all over the city. I thought this was just weird, black construction area. But no, it is the army barracks. 


This is Chelsea Pensioners Hospital. Cool windows, I thought.



This is Chelsea Bridge. Very Busy. 



















We tried to find Oscar Wilde's house, but it has evaporated. So no cigar, but he lived around here apparently.


Isn't this just beautiful? The walk took us along the Thames for a minute, and this is a pagoda which I should know the name of, but don't remember. I love the Thames. 
















This is the home of Thomas Carlyle - the Sage of Chelsea. 


























This is Sir Thomas Moore. Evita-ed. This is the church that he wished to be buried at. His body might possibly be here, but his head is at Canterbury. Nice, huh?


Also, Henry VIII - the more I hear of you, the grosser, weirder, more horrible and awful I think you are - was married to Jane Seymour here. She was beheaded later. Know before you go, Jane, poor soul.



Chelsea was rad, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment