Monday, August 8, 2011

Aloooooo-HA!


Hi family. Missions are intense, wow. I am constantly learning things about myself. Like 25 hours a day. But, me and Sister Lundgren were talking and she said if I hadn't come on a mission, I would have discovered all of this when I got married. Haha so really, this is just a blessing and a bonus for my husband. Lucky him.

So. Karen no longer has a baptismal date. She won't quit smoking, and she won't say a prayer. So we are kind of at a stand still. Because she wants to be baptized, but she cannot be baptized without hard work. And it's a blessing that feels so good, but it also IS hard work. And we are needing to be bold with her. Haha we tried the virtue of silence with her last time... and it was SO awkward. hahahaa oh my gosh, it is hilarious now - THAT is how awkward it was. We asked her to pray, and she said no and we had talked with Elder Orondorff about the necessity of silence so... we were silent. hahahahah oh baby. I just like... stared at the ground with a strained smile on my face... because I struggle with silence. I do not like it, but I know I need to accept it and use it because that is when the spirit teaches and also because people need to face up to what their doing and if I am constantly saying "oh, it's okay blah blah blah" nothing gets through to them. Does this make any sense? I obviously am still struggling with the principle of silence.

James is doing SO GOOD though. He came to church yesterday. And he hugged us. In the chapel. I was having a heart attack. We have needed to set him straight on missionary rules, but it really has been difficult because of circumstances. So finally, after church, Sister Lundgren was like "Just so you know, we have these rules as missionaries to follow, and one of them is we can't hug men. So we'll just have to do hand shakes from now on." And he took it fine, but I seriously was having a HEART. ATTACK. Because I'm like "Oh my gosh, the ward is going to see us and see this 22-year-old kid giving us a hug and they are going to think 'Ooooh, so they're THOSE kind of Sister Missionaries. And all they do is flirt-to-convert.'!!!!" Which is NOT true. We don't. James is doing well though. We are still on for August 20th. He is getting involved in the ward.

Speaking of the ward. I am feeling better about it all. I really do love the ward. There is a prevailing attitude of "I can't do church work, I already have too much do to!" (that is how PEC goes. Every time. Defensive, defensive, defensive) but I am changing my attitude. Most of the problems that Im stressing about are MY problems. Like it is MY deal, I need to fix myself up. There is also, like, the world's best family in our ward. They are the Gold family, and the dad is like the coolest member of the church I have ever met. He is honestly the BEST fellowshipper on the planet, and I know this because every person we teach and think "Who could be they're fellowshipper?" we think "Brother Gold." But he is so great. He gave James a ride home from church yesterday and then he called us and was like "if you could schedule things in the evening, that would be great, so that I can be there." and I just am so appreciative to Brother Gold. He is how I want to be when I get home from my mission. I want to help the missionaries. Cause this is missionary work stuff is DIFFICULT.

This last week I went on my very first exchange! Me and Sister Cochran switched places for the day. It was fun! I went down to Humble, Texas (pronounced " Umble ", no H). Whilst in Humble, Texas I found a Car/Dog Wash. Scooters Car/Dog Wash. I thought it was so funny, so I took a picture. If you ever bring Wils to Humble, Texas we have a place where we can wash him AND wash the car! All at the same time! A dream come true! haha. The exchange was cool. I felt so relieved to be in an area that was not mine, because I feel so responsible for Porter/New Caney. Which is good, but I'm pretty sure I'm taking it too far. I need to just RELAX. I'm such a perfectionist. And because I expect myself to be perfect, I expect everyone else to be perfect. Not consciously, but subconsciously. See what I mean about my mission being a blessing for whoever I marry??? Yes. 100%. Haha.

We had so many members come out with us this week. OH my gosh. They are good. I feel bad asking people to do missionary work, because I know they're busy, sometimes. But we need members so bad. So we are so grateful when they come out with us. James, do you ever go out with the Elders? I don't know if we can do such things in the SL missions, but I can't see why not. Obviously, you guys know best and if you are too busy then don't push yourself to do it, but maybe if you have extra time one day, it would be a good thing to just go out with the missionaries for 1 hour? I'm not trying to, like, ask you to go out with the missionaries. But that is just an idea. I know it would help them so much if members in our stake would just do 1 hour a week, or 1 hour a month. So many of the members are returned missionaries - they KNOW how much they needed members. Maybe remind them of that. I know you guys are busy though. That's why we have WARD missionaries, right?? Tell that to the ward missionaries. We don't have ward missionaries so much in Tejas.. or I don't know them.

What else about this week... It is.... beyond hot. There is no word to describe how hot it is. I want to shoot myself when we are tracting in the daytime. SICK. It is sick. And people are like "What are y'all doing outside in this weather You are nuts." and I'm like "yes, yes we are nuts. I have no idea why we are outside right now because it is not healthy." I am going to be feeling much better when October comes. General Conference AND cooler weather. A dream.

This week I also had a little bit of a hard time because people are mean to us when we tract. Some people are so nice, but some people are really rude and I guess my skin isn't that thick because it affects me. I am like... offended or hurt, I guess, when they are rude but I also stress because then they have a negative view of the CHURCH. And that is the last thing I want them to get from me. But all of these things will come with time. Missions are a process, and processes are how we come to know the Savior. His life was a process, not a single event (recognize that James? :] )

How was everything this week?? JONNAY!!! how was your BIRTHDAY??! You are legal now. That is very exciting. James, how was Red Fish? I want a picture of the beard. Print it THIS WEEK and send it to me. Muchas gracias. Mommy, how is work and life with my puppy? and how is grandma? Dad, how is work also? And how is the stake and how are YOU :]? I love you guys so much. SOOO very much. I wish there was a cooler word for it than "very".

P.S. thank you for the Weavers address, I am going to try to write them today. Everyone at the church (we go to the church for p-day) always makes me feel guilty for writing letters. they're just so jealous.

BUT, I also forgot that Taylor Smith was leaving!! That is so exciting. Can you send me his MTC mailbox #? Could you get that? I want to write to him. I always liked Taylor, ever since we were Trek brothers and sisters. I'm sure he'll be a great missionary. Thank you for everything. I love you so so so SOOOOO.

P.P.S mom you asked about mosquitos. I have a picture to send to you but you must promise never to show another living soul. it looks like the chicken pox. And i am whiter than the day.











1 comment:

  1. SISTER HICKEN!! it's brit :) i am trying to find on here an email?? i am unsure if there is one i can use to write you or if i must hand write...which i suck at. i got my tonsils out and am on a lot of lortab so this post was incredibly funny to me. i wish to write you and tell you things. so...yes if you could address this in your next post or maybe i need to find someone not on pain meds to look for me and tell me. i love love love you!

    ReplyDelete