Tuesday, March 9, 2010

beginning - the inhale

So, being an English Major, I've decided to do something English-y on my blog. I'm going to post pieces of a story. This is a piece of story 0. If I get another idea, I'll post it as story 1. This is so I get used to writing - especially after I had read a great work of Literature (such as DRACULA - which I just finished today). So that was kind of the inspiration behind this, along with a thought I had in class the other day and the fact that I am absorbing Lost (I just started Season 2, baby!)
 So here goes....

The first thing I was aware of was that I couldn’t breathe. The next was that moving my arms and legs took an unusual amount of effort. I realized last of all that it was dark.
It didn’t occur to me that I was drowning. I pushed my eyelids up and the salty water scratched my eyes. I remembered that the afternoon had been stormy when I noticed how dark it still was, even with eyes open. I was far enough from the shore that the breaking waves didn’t trouble me - the thought that I couldn’t breathe had stepped into the foreground of consciousness. It came like an approaching ambulance siren, louder and louder until it screeches to a halt in front of you- and you realize that the smoke is coming from your rooftop.
I opened my mouth instinctively. It filled with water so quickly that it seemed like it had been flooded all along. Panic gripped me right below my stomach and started to squeeze.
I’m not going to say whose face popped into my mind – somebody’s did. The water in front of me started to fill with black splotches and then…
Something took painful hold of my hand and I felt the water start to rush past me. Was I being sucked down or pulled up? I don’t remember what I was thinking about before I completely blacked out.
I wasn’t expecting to, but I woke up.
The first thing I was aware of was that my eyes hurt- really, really badly. The next was that my throat felt like it was on fire. I realized last of all that it was sunny.
The first clear thought I had was to wonder who it was that had saved me. The second was to wonder who it was that had pushed me in.

So. Ta da. We'll see if this one goes anywhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment