I'm getting transferred tomorrow. There are only 2 areas I can go to: Woodville and Baytown. And I am being negative nancy over here today. But I do know everything will be alright. I'm just nervous that I'm going to get stressed. Because... yeah. I think I know where I'm going and it's gonna be stressful. I know that God will take care of me and answer my prayers, but still I'm scared which is just so stupid but whatever. So that's the big news on the island. I am getting transferred. I have loved serving in La Porte. I've learned so many important things here and I've had so many good times here. At least I know that I can't stay anywhere longer than 4 transfers cause that's all I've got left. Four transfers are you kidding me??? That sounds really short, doesn't it? The past 4 transfers have gone by really fast. But now comes the dreadful summer and I'm so scared time is going to come to a screeching halt because of it. I have asked the Lord in my prayers for very specific and certain things and I know that where ever I go, I will be going there in part in response to my prayers. Becuase I prayed in faith. I just read Alma 31 last week and the last verse says basically "Everything that happened was just what Alma prayed for, because he prayed in faith."
So last week. Monday was good. All we did monday was go to dinner with a member. She is from texas but served a spanish speaking mission in Provo, Utah. Her family are all in active and part members so she is praying about having them over for family home evening. That would be neato.
Tuesday we met with Vance, he is one of our homeless men that we are teaching. They're not really homeless homeless (like, they don't live under a bridge or anything) but they are crashing at their friends' houses and don't have anything to do during the day. He is a weirdy, but so nice. We are teaching just the weirdest conglomerate of people. Oh my word.
Wednesday we finally got back in with Berenis. It was good. We taught her a lesson 1 and she was really interested in Joseph Smith and if he were persecuted after he had the first vision, so we set up a time to come and watch the Joseph Smith : Prophet of the Restoration DVD. It was good to see her. Then we had a bunch of appointments fall through. And Jillian is not sleeping very well AT ALL. So... basically I had a sort of cruddy week. But we did see a less active lady, Sister Schaeffer and talked to her. She craves the spirit that we bring, you can so tell. Then we had dinner with the Corrs. They invited their niece over who had been at church with them on Sunday. Biana, the niece, has been abused and so right now she is living in a women's shelter. But she is very interested in healing and in being healed by God. So that was good.
Thursday we had a meeting with Robert. He is so funny. He just adores us. And Sister Page and the Powells for dinner. That night we went to Brother Samfords, our reactivated guy, and watched "The Testaments". OH my gosh. It was incredible. I can't believe I haven't ever watched it on my mission so far. I have always loved the very last scene where Christ heals Helam. But I loved it so much this time because then you see Christ, looking down at him and smiling and I remember what Elder Holland said "He can fix everything. How is it that we are so fearful? How is it that we have no faith?" I know that He can fix everything and that He loves us so much. I just felt that while watching the Testaments. He has overcome the world and why do we ever fear? He can save us from anything. If He doesn't do it, doesn't fix it, or to us it doesn't seem that way it's becuase we will be happier in the long run.
Friday was fine. All we did was go see Angie and then go to the Ward Social. It was good. Our investigators Mr. Bill and Bianca came.
Saturday was bad. We went over to sister Manzo's though and watched Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration. She had never seen that and she just cried. While we were watching that I thought about that quote from President Hinckley when he was talking to the missionary who'd been disowned. He said "How did you do that, when your family reacted this way and etc etc" And he said "It's true isn't it?" President Hinckley said "Yes, it is true." And the missionary said "Then what else matters?" I love that. It's true. I wish I was a better missionary. Saturday night we met with Mr. Bill. He's been coming to chruch for months and we finally got to teach him. He is going to be baptized July 21. That will be cool.
Yesterday because it was transfer sunday everyone was nice to me. haha they all want to see you before you go, but they never have done anything for me while I was there. It's funny. We did see the corrs and teach bianca after church and then we went to the Paris (where we taught Jonathan). I miss Jonathan. He is so great and he needs to be baptized. Sister Paris does too. She has a testimony I cannot think WHY she wouldn't be baptized. Brother Paris wanted to watch "How Rare a Posession" haha I watched 3 movies this week. That is so funny. It was good though because I feel awful this week. I am SOOOO sick of not sleeping. I hate it. And when I don't sleep, I feel like crap all day but I can't sleep during the day because I am a missionary and I literally cannot shake the guilt. And the desire to be out working too. But all in all I am just tired and stressed about transfers. Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer today. things are not as bad as they seem. it will all work out. I know that. I just am tired.
Well, we've got to trot. Dad thank you for your e-mail. It's weird to me that President E-mailed yall. Is it because i am going into my last 4 transfers? I don't get too distracted by stuff that yall tell me about home. I wonder what some people tell their people that distracts them. I am sad that yall are selling Grandma's house, but what can you do? Haha I said yall in my testimony yesterday. It was so funny to me. Safe to say yall are gonna hear yall when I get back. I love you all. I hope you're having a good week. PLEASE write me cause I'm just very sad. It's not going to last forever, but I would love letters this week.
The Gospel is true, the Church is Christ's and I love it with all my heart. Read the book of mormon! Every day!!
Love, Sister Hicken
pictures
  • camp hope!! hahah I have wanted to take a picture with this sign all transfer. Whenever we pass it I go "Camp hope camp hope we sing to you..." and think of tony perkis. "don't be afraid nicholas, come here." hahaha
  • milla and garin at the ward party
  • me and sister manzo ahhh i love her
  • us and manzo. she is my hero.
  • me and sister mccuen. i love her. she served in italy!
  • me and the paris. love love love.


NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.