Monday, April 16, 2012

yall the beyst!

The Elders got yelled at by this big black lady the other day and she was sayin "Yall are full uh mess!" and it was so funny. That's what I thought of when I wrote "Yall are the beyst!"
But seriously, you are the best family in the entire world. I am convinced of it. Thank each of you for the birthday card and for singing to me :] It was so funny, I could hear each of you distinctly. And Wilsy sent me a card, he is such a sweetie. I had a good birthday so thank you so much! Thank you Mom, for the package and the presents! They are all perfect and awesome. I am wearing the new red and black skirt right now :]
Well. I have a greenie! Can you believe it? Her name is Sister Allison Erickson from Provo Utah. She is great. Honestly doing SO much better than I was doing when I was first new. We are going to do good work together, I know it. Thank you for all of your advice, Dad and James. I definitely will use it. Training thus far has been really cool because I'm realizing and recognizing the ways I've grown since I came on a mission. And I am realizing where I need to improve the most. I'm really grateful for her because she is understanding that this area is bizzar-o and that we have to do some tedious work here in order to get to the good stuff. Also, since I've started training I'm like addicted to studies! I study every second that I can. Like right before bed I'm always squeezing in the Bible for 10 minutes.
I had a testimony builder this week of the Book of Mormon. To explain this, I'll explain the week.
Monday we hurried and finished Bouwhuis' packing and got everything squared away for her leaving the next day. We had a family home evening with a family in our ward that adores sister Bouwhuis and we ended it with a silly string battle. It was funny. Then Tuesday we had to be in Kingwood at 8:45 so the trainers could meet with President for an hour, then the trainers and the greenies together for an hour, then the actual transfer meeting at 11. It was a really good meeting. President talked to the trainers about how we are shaping the future of the mission (no pressure right?) and then to all of us about the church's new 12 Week Program for training. (It's way cool! We study for an extra hour at 10 am until 11 am). Then we finally got back to the area and I took her to meet the Elders at lunch, then I took her tracting :] It was pretty good. NO ONE wanted to talk to us but it was breezy. Then we went and met with a Recent Convert and then we had dinner with the Gallaghers. They are a couple in our ward that just moved here after finishing BYU. They are cool, but sometimes I feel SUPER judged by them. And I've been trying to not assume things, so I actually think they are judging us to be bad missionaries. Which is fine, it's unfair but it's fine.
Wednesday morning we had choir practice early in the morning at the Broadway chapel. The next fireside, I think I told yall, is going to be in espanol in Spanish land! That will be cool. But because of this we didn't have time to do companion study in the morning. After choir we went to do service at the ward - helping the relief society set up for their function (I know, NOT our purpose, tell me about it. But we are trying to create a love in the ward that is so absent). Then we visited a less active woman and then WENT to the Relief Society function. It was good for sister Erickson to meet the ladies in the ward. That was one thing I wish I had done at first was meet a lot of ward members. I would have felt way more secure.
Thursday we almost had appointments that we had to walk to (becuase sister Erickson doesn't have a bike yet, so we are on foot. It takes FOR.EV.VER. Everything in Texas is way spread out). And a lot of our appointments fell through. But we stopped by our potential investigatros and set up an appointment for Saturday with them.
Friday we had district meeting and it was my birthday! The elders made me a cake and bought me cupcakes and sang to me. Later in the afternoon the Baxters (from Porter, remember?) were in La Porte and took us to sonic. Then we had dinner with the Ruiz family and they had a celebration for me, it was so nice. All in all, it was a good birthday, but I wish we could've worked more. Our miles situation is bogus, we need to reevaluate it. Anyway. (James did yall struggle with miles in Roseville? It's ridiculous here).
Saturday was a good day, we had our appointment with our investigators. We did a purpose lesson with Mike and Christina and we are coming back next Saturday to teach them about the Restoration. It was pretty cool becuase when we asked them why there are so many churches, they said "Every religion has part of the truth- but no one has the whole truth." !! we were walking away like "Okay President, you can come out now! You set this up obviously!" but we are really excited to meet them.
Yesterday was a good day at church (sorta) and then we met with Jonathan at the Paris' last night. It went well. Not gonna lie, I was slightly terrified to go without Bouwhuis, but it went okay. And we are still teaching him. So all is well. I say church was okay (sorta) because we are faced with trying to inject charity into the ward. I know we can help build this ward and make a difference but we don't know where to start. Any advice for that aspect? We've had some negative experiences recently and we just need to show them more love, I know it. We need them to feel more love. How do we influence the ward to feel more love?
So. That was the week in a nutshell. My Book of Mormon experience is this. In the crazy Monday Tuesday and Wednesday we had, I didn't read the Book of Mormon. And I felt it. Mom, it's like you said there is a spirit that accompanies the book of mormon. And it seems like I'm addicted to it now :] good addiction, right? On Thursday when I finally read it, I felt WORLDS better. It was really cool. This book is infused with the spirit of God. Reading it will make your life better. I know it cause I experienced it.
Can you believe I'm not more stressed?? I seriously cannot. I know the Lord is blessing me and has blessed me to be at this point. I truly see my growth as a missionary because I see how I am able to turn the stress over to the Lord and to do my best. That is incredible to me. I can't believe how much my testimony has grown of the Lord's intricate involvement in our lives. The details people!! He's in the details. I am so grateful to be a missionary right now. There are still things that I don't love to do, and still things that worry me, and things that stress me, but I truly can see how the Lord gives us these things to help us grow. HE LOVES US. When we teach Jonathan, that's what we always come back to (haha crazy that I've now taught a James and a Jonathan! James is back going to church by the way!!!! SOOO happy!) Jonathan believes that God is cruel and a punisher. We disagree doctrinally on that point. But he is coming along. We will pray for the Lord's guidance on how to progress. He will tell us what to do. I feel like we're going to have to drop him for a bit. Oooh, baby how do we do that? Yikes bikes.
Mom, thank you for all that you did for my birthday! You truly were born to be a missionary's mother :] I love you so much. Thank you for your letter. And thank you for sending the one from the Relief Society! That is the 3rd or 4th time I've heard from ward members on my mission and it makes me SOOOO happy every time. I love our ward. Thank you for being a great mommy! How is everything? Work is good? How's my grandmother? I hope she's good. Tell her that I love her so much, will you?
Dad, thank you for your Easter Card, your birthday card and your e-mail! I treasure em all! Thank you for your advice and counsel on how to be a good trainer. Did you get to be a trainer on your mission? Do you remember your trainers name? Did I tell you that a kid from our ward is going to the Arcadia mission in about a month? Your topic for Stake conference sounds awesome!! Arise and Shine forth! Lengthen your Stride kind of a thing right?? LOVE.
James, thanks for your letters.You are awesome. I bet you were just the best missionary in the Roseville mission. I'm glad you are doing good. Thank you for your counsel on how to train. Ididn't know you did it thrice?? Who were they? Elder Olafson, I know but the others? Hows everything with you? I'm assuming work is good since you never talk about it. When are finals? Did you know that if you write your sister during finals week, you automatically get better grades? Doctrine. And P.S. I laughed really hard at your birthday card. Is the office still going strong??
Jonny, thanks for the card. You are such a great artist. I cannot believe you are getting ready to get a mission call!!!!!!!! AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Freak. I am so excited for you. You cannot even begin to understand how much. You are goign to be the best missionary. Are you excited? I hope so. You graduate soon, how do you feel about that. What are these empty promises about sending me an e-mail? Lies. You can't lie anymore when you become a missionary.
Family, i'm serious you're the best.I love you. I can't believe we get to talk (FOR THE LAST TIME) in less than a month! Ooooooh! It's gonna be good. Please continue to send me advice if you have it, or just tell me what your lives are like. I love to hear about it. Jesus Christ loves us! He loves us and our Heavenly Father loves us! They created a perfect plan for each of us. If we follow them, if we pray to them and follow them, we will find our path and be happy. I know this is true. My life will be different forever because of these things I am learning.
LOVE YOU
Sister Hicken
ps. no pictures today. Mucho lo siento :[

No comments:

Post a Comment