Monday, April 2, 2012

conference was wonderful

wonderful wonderful general conference, am I right? It was so good.
This last week was really weird. We had exchanges on Tuesday and I realized that, hey, I am unready to lead this area! That was good to know. Not that I can be that much more prepared in a week and a half. But it was good to realize that so I won't be blind sided. And there are some things I can do to prepare.
We had this new family we were teaching, and we called them to see if we could come over and the mom just hung up when we said "Hey, it's the missionaries!" and so we were like "that's odd, lets call back." we did, she sends our call to voicemail and then texts us and says "Please stop callin and please don't come back". ... yep. That was weird. It was totally out of the blue and just mildly upsetting. We tried to talk to her a little bit, but she's just not ready. I just don't understand why people react so immaturely, but whatever. No one is perfect (RIGHT Uchtdorf?? Ohh, conference was so so wonderful)
So we just had a few days of everything was awful. But we ended the week with conference and it was sooo great. I went back and made a list of things I wanted to tell you that I LOVED: .... but I just checked and realized that I forgot my planner. So I'll just tell you what I remember.
Elder Holland (Obviously!) and his wonderful expounding of a parable. It seemed to me that there were a few themes at conference. The biggest one was family! FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY! Another one was Envy or I guess imperfections. And Also President Kimball was quoted a LOT. I loved Uchtdorf's talk. Jonathan, our pretty much only solid investigator, got up and turned off his broadcast he told us when Uchtdorf was talking. This really proves to me that he is not ready. He's really not ready to progress (James, he is not low hanging fruit at all :]). But his talk was wonderful STOP IT! I loved the questions he told us to ask ourselves. There was something in there - oh yes!! RASBAND's wonderful talk. It reminded me of Grandma. Cause I can sort of see the sacrifices yall are making and Julie's family too, to take care of Grandma. But, just like the talk that you sent me mom, "You are being exalted." I loved also the Elder Anderson's question "What thinks Christ of ME?" I loved that.
Best funniest moment of conference was D.Todd Christoffersons "Translate that." It was so funny. We were at a members house for the second session yesterday and Brother Paris was like "Wasn't that funny how President Monson made a fart joke?" and we were all like "... whennnnn did he do that?" And when he stood up and said "This speaker stood up. he looked left. he looked right. he looked to the front. and then departed." well Brother Parris thought he said "...he looked to the front, and then he farted". hahahahahahahaha oh man. He definitely did not say that. Members are so great.
Yesterday was also april fools day! And we got the elders sooo good!! In the morning on our way to pick them up for conference we said "hey sorry we're gonna be late we got in a car accident." and then we got there and silly stringed them when they came out! Some guy was filming it on his iphone. ha. but then we went to conference and we happen to have a key to their apartment so on our way back from our dinner appointment we went over and got their flour out of their cupboard and put it on the spokes of their ceiling fan. HA! Then we shaving-creamed their toilet.
yes. victory. they called us at 9 last night and they were like "Hi sisters. what the freak??? call us back. Sister hicken was this your idea? what is wrong with you?" and it was sooo funny! they were a little ticked, but they took it all in stride. All of sylvesters suits were on his bed because he was deciding which ones to dry clean. And vuala! all of them! there's your answer. they had cockroaches all over. oh my word it was so funny. hahahahahahahahahahaha
We are starting from square one here. Bouwhuis is going home next week. As in she sees her family in one week. I'm going to have her come see yall. I'll give her your phone number. At the end of NEXT transfer, my trainer goes home !!! And i'm going to send HER to see you. Yesterday I hit 10 months. How crazy weird is that??? I only have 8 months left. Mikelle has 4, cause she's coming home for school at the beginning of August. WAY WAY weird. I've heard when you hit 6 months it just starts to fly. Like it's really history then, you're just sliding to home. Weird. I don't think about it cause I don't know what to think about it. And it's far away.
I still really do love being a missionary. I got so much out of conference. I loved it. I had questions written down (did you ahve questions written down?? I hope so!) and one of my questions was about charity.I know I need to have more charity, and I watned to know how I could get it asap. And the answers came. They were there. The same for my other main question. I can't WAIT for the ensign to come out so I can really study the talks and really find my answers. God wants to answer us because He loves us. So much. I just know that.
Mom, thanks for your letter and that talk! WOW. It was so good. I cried in it. It made me realize how grateful I am to go to BYU. It is a blessing. It's weird stuff, but everywhere is. And it is the coolest environment to go to school in. Jonny are you applying there?? Do it! I'm glad to hear that you had 2 parties in a row. haha look at you! How is everything? what was your favorite conference talk?
Dad, thanks for your e-mail! It's good to hear all about what's going on at home. I'm sorry to hear about those things that are frustrating you. My humble advice is what would jesus do? that's always a good indicator. That challenge is a good idea too, huh? The two challenges were spread over a year and I think that was a good idea because people are more likely to do things when they are in smaller packets, ya know? oh! I just thought of who's coming home from their missions soon and mitch orton is huh?? Like this month right? Wha!
James, thanks for your letter! It was so great. Thanks for telling me about the low hanging fruit. It really seems like you're happy and doing well! I hope so. Didnt you love conference? I'm so jealous I couldn't go to priesthood :[ We almost swung it cause the elders were gonna bes tranded at the church with no ride. but to no avail. we had to go work. and we wanted to work. but we are jealous of yall and your extra session. What is going on in your ward? Do you know any people that I would know for high school or anything?
Jonny, I wrote you a letter this morning! Get ready for it. I am just so happy for you!! I remember really well how I felt when I was doing what you're doing right now. It's a weird feeling. You better tell me when you put your papers in! I am holding my breathe for texas houston east!! Just kidding. I think you should probably go somewhere that will be even better tailored to you! But I still really hope it's english state-side. really really really. how did you like conference. how are you feeling? write me!!
Family, I love you. I really do. One of my favorite talks was the one that the guy was like "The church is different from the gospel." and that's what I've said before too! the church is a vehicle that helps us live the gospel. It is christ's church. and this is his gospel. those are two separate things, but like the man said they should be intertwined. I LOVE THIS! I really truly love being a missionary. I cannot WAIT for jonny to come out here with me!!!!!!!!! and I am so happy for James that he had this experience. and Mom and Dad will shortly have this experience. Dad! A priest from my ward just got called to the California Arcadia mission spanish speaking! i thought you might be excited for him. East LA baby! :]
LOVE YOU!!!!! See you next week. Sister Hicken
pictures : zone pday easter egg hunt!
the zone dying easter eggs LOVE LOvE LOVE
weekly planning at the water.
after a GREAT day on the bikes
the "snow storm" bahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment