Monday, March 19, 2012

st. patrick's day!

Hi! Mmkay it's been one of those days already, and I am sorry to report that I don't have any pictures to send from my great week last week because I left my camera at home. Cherry on top. But it's okay, I'll send double the pictures next week. You will have to wait to see my gnarly sunburn. Youch! I haven't burned this bad in a long time. In my defense, it is MARCH. I should not have to wear 60SPF!!! But, now I do wear it. It's better than charbroiled arms.
Last p-day was great. We taught a part member family. It used to be the mom's boyfriend was going to get baptized, but there's now a pregnancy and an eviction and all kinds of good texas drama involved so it's only going to be the daughter. Who I think is 8, but she still has to be taught the lessons. They are cool, though. I really like them. I like them, but do not love them yet. I have been praying really hard for charity during the past week, becuase I think that is what I will need when Sister Bouwhuis goes home in 3 weeks and I need to lead the area. I need to love these people as much as I loved those people in Porter. Granted, I had a little bit more time to get to love them... But I still will.
Tuesday we had choir practice. We are doing the fireside this weekend, on Sunday. The directors have been so weird about whether or not I am singing the come thou font solo again. I can't figure it out. It's almost like they think I'm a diva and going to be offended if they ask someone else to do it or something.. which is 200% false. Whoever the Lord needs to convey the spirit best, that is who should sing it. It doesn't matter one bit who it is, what matters is that it is sung with the Spirit. Anyway. I am doing the song again this time, but probably not for any of the other ones. Which is cool with me. We have SOO much talent in our mission and MANY people that would sound just incredible.
Wednesday we had our Relief Society Birthday dinner at night (do they always do those? I cannot remember ever hearing about one before and then all the sudden every ward in texas is doing one..) It was cool. Our ward has no cliques, which is good but also bad. No one is really involved in anyone elses life. They just go about their business and come to church on Sunday. Or at least that's what I have observed. I'm excited to get to work with this ward though. I like them a lot.
Thursday we were on our bikes ALL DAY LONG!!! And this is where I was burned to death. It was zingin for the next three days. I was wearing a shirt with longer short-sleeves, so now everything I wear looks retarded haha. But I didn't even think to put sunscreen on. It was a beautiful day and we did weekly planning by the water. Ahhhhh, so nice. It felt like being in California, which was odd. I love biking so much. We look supremely lame on our bikes with our helmets and our skirts, but I feel like a missionary and I am so much happier and more work seems to get done. Our area is enormous, though and we have to get the elders a lot since we share a ward and so our miles are not good. Not at all.
Friday was district meeting. I spoke on the Doctrine of Christ (James did yall have to speak on the Doctrine of Christ every week too, or is that just our mission?) someone always gives a ten minute talk on the doctrine of christ. So.. we played pictionary. I gave them a story from the book of mormon about faith or repentance or baptism, the holy ghost or enduring to the end and they had to draw that story, then we read a scripture from that story. It was cool. I think everyone enjoyed it. We have a senior couple in our district, the whites, and the husband is a legit rocket scientist. That was his job before he retired was to be a rocket scientist. He has a cool voice, it's kind of like when you hear talks by really old apostles (like hugh b brown or whatever) and they have this certain cadence to their voice? That is how his is.
Saturday was St. Patricks day! Mom we took pictures of our green food and then i plumb forgot my camera. shoot, darn. I will send them next week. Crystal's baptism was Saturday night so I got to go back for that. I just adore kingwood, and I love and miss them. It was a good baptism. However, Doyle and Debra weren't there. Because they are not doing good and I am so disappointed by it. Baldwin and Higley went by last night and Doyle has been smoking again, and Debra has moved in with him!! Can you believe it?? I am upset. Doyle knows better, and I know it. I am going to write him a letter today. PMG says that it is not unusual for new converts to fall back into old addictions so we should treat them and undertsandable and temporary setbacks, so that is what I will do. Pretty bummer night last night, though, when she called me. Earlier Saturday we went knocking. And it was so great. I love knocking. It is so hard to start, but that is where all of our appointments come from, basically. Nothing is going on in this area. Apparently it died right before I got here. Swell. It is a challenge though, and I like those... so it will all work out.
Yesterday we had Stake Conference. Elder Wright was the visiting authority and he said the coolest thing. There was a bishop whose ward included his sister. She thought he was the best bishop in the world and then she found out about this guy who really really didn't like him. So she went and told her brother about it (haha which I thought was.. kinda wierd... but whatever). And the bishop said "Brother So-And-So is a good man. I've come to love him. I've also come to realize that my salvation doesn't depend on whether he loves me. My salvation depends on whether I love him." And I LOOOOOOVED that. That is the key to self esteem and to happiness. You measure how much YOU love others, not how much others love you. Your worth doesn't come from how much others SERVE you, but from how much YOU serve OTHERS. I LOVED IT!! Just like when Elder D.Todd Christofferson was here, he said a good question to ask yourself is "How much can I do for others and how well can I do it?" Totally brill. I have all of these goals for my life. Of how I'm going to be. I see members in the ward who act like "oh my gosh HOW could you give me yet another assignment, I have way too much already!" and then I see members who say "What else can I do?" and they have the busier lives of the two. But they are also the happier of the two. What more can I do?? A WONDERFUL question that I know will be hard to ask ,,but that I ReALLY want to ask when I get home and go on as a member if the church.
We are working hard. We could work harder, but we're doing okay. I'm having one of those days, like I said, but it's okay. I will get over it. We get to go teach tonight so that will be good. :] LOVE teaching. Love working. Oh my gosh how I love working:]
Mom, thanks so much for the St. Patricks Day package! Since you sent it to #1 it didn't come to us, and one day I was checking in the outgoing mail section to see if the mail had already come and there it was! Just sitting. And it had already been opened but they didn't take anything. Thanks for the cutest shirt and scarf ever. I wore them BOTH on St. Patricks day! Haha just kidding. I only wore the shirt. It was so cute :] Thanks for your letter too! That was a good talk. I hope it influences someone to serve a mission or influences them to realize that they don't have to be perfect or whatever it was they could take from it. How are the other missionaries in our ward? Can you believe Daren comes home in like ... four months? WIERD!!!!
Dad, thanks for your e-mail again last week. I loved it. Things are going good here, we are right by the coast so we did weekly planning on a table at the beach :] bliss bliss bliss. The beach isn't relaly the beach though. so it's not apetizing in ANY way, no worries. We had our stake conference yesterday and I thought of yalls stake conference coming up! Do yyou know what you want to speak to the stake on? Our stake president here does challenges too, just like in Kingwood. I think it's a cool idea. Hav eyou ever done a challenge to the whole stake?
James, thanks for you letter! Your date sounded so fun! hahah I laughed a lot. I'm glad you went out with her. Sister bouwhuis and I have decided to set you up with her friends! they are all coming home from their missions right about now (you're not opposed to dating an rm are you? hope not. some of the elders out here say they would never date a returned sister missionary. if this is how you feel, we have to chat. haha) they are way pretty way cool girls though! Sister bouwhuis comes home in 3 weeks so I will keep you updated. This is happening though. Will you take some more blind dates from your sister in texas? I think it would be very wise. She showed me their pictures and told me about them and I approve. Give em a shot! Exceot I have advice for you. When in doubt, on the first date, for-go the ice cream. If you like her, go for it. But if it's just like "mmkay the date is over but we are required to get ice cream" just nix it. dinner and an activity meet most needs. sometimes even dinner. Whatever you feel. :]
Jonny, how are you? How is senior year? when are you putting your papers in? I am going to send someone after you if you don't write me!!! this is big stuff. you need to tell me about your state championship and about your mission plans. requirement. Have james help you. He is good at writing. ;]
I love you all. It is so good to write this e-mail to you! I was in this horrendous mood this morning (I have to pay for my laundry now and no me gusta.) and now I feel good. I love yall and pray for you. I hope you're doing good. I hope you're reading the book of mormon. I am not kidding, I notice a difference in my day when I don't start with a chapter or two.I know that I am lucky mcducky and I get to study for an hour every day, and not everyone can do that. but we all can start with a chapter or two of the book or mormon a day. or even a verse or two. I promise you you will feel a difference. Do good! Write me a letter! I LOVEYOU!!!!!
Love, Sister Hicken
P.S. My birthday is coming up soon!! that reminds me. Cowboy boots are muy expensive. $200-$300 dollars :[ we will see. I didn't find any that I was in love with so I will keep you updated. You let me know what you think we should do.

No comments:

Post a Comment