Monday, November 14, 2011

Thanksgiving is next week!

Hey family! How are yall? :] I'm getting to be pretty firmly attached to my Texan lingo. Get ready for it when I get home.
So in about 2 weeks I will have only 12 months left - only one year. I will have been on a mission for 6 months. Weird, right? I hope you have been seeing blessings in the past 6 months. I have been seeing a lot of blessings. A lot of trials that ARE blessings. Cool huh? I hope you don't feel like all I am is negative and complaining, I'm trying not to be negative. President Rasband talked about missionary work being difficult, and it is and I think that I'm always going to have a stuggle of some sort going on. Maybe not, but for the time being that seems like it's the case. These hard things and trials really do bless me in the long run though. That doesn't make them any more fun to go through. The Lord knew exactly where I needed to serve to help me to grow the most. And it's for sure going on. I'm being so blessed though. I can think about that when I have a minute to sit down and write to you or write in my journal.
So. This last week pretty much all of our investigators dropped us, ditched us, or dropped off the face of the earth. Doyle is MIA and won't return phone calls. We're going over tonight to just knock on the door and see how he is. We did find someone new to teach, and it's actually someone we have been going by since July. Since before we found James, cause he lives on James' street. Mario. He is cool. He is pretty firmly Catholic, but we explained about the Book of Mormon and he really wants to read it. Sweet! That will be the answer for him.
Speaking of, James is doing well. He is going to institue every week and he came to church in our ward on Sunday (instead of in Lufkin with his kids). He just has so much going on. He has made some pretty interesting choices in life, but we know he is doing well. We talked to him about the temple this week, about how he needs to prepare himself to go. James is a guy that just smiles all the time, though, and sometimes when we're talking or even in church, he is just looking at me and smiling. And I think that's a little weird from time to time. It worries me haha. But it's all good.
President Rasband this week - WOW! So cool. Especially because it was another Tri-Wizard Tournament and I love those because I got to see Sister Hurren, Elder Curtis and Elder Leishman. Oh, I just LOVE and adore them. They seem like they're doing good. President Rasband talked more about "The divine call of a missionary" like his talk from conference last year (or whenever it was). He also talked to us about the missionaries in the McAllen mission that were killed. He said that while he was an area authority another missionary was killed in the field and President Hinckley called him up and asked him to go to the funeral. Pres Rasband was like "Yes, President. You did schedule me to go to another meeting in Florida this week, though.." (something totally respectful though. that doesn't sound respectful haha sorry President Rasband) and President Hinckley said "You go on behalf of the first presidency." He said that the missionaries are so important the the President of the church and the 12. If President Monson were there, he would say two things to us: 1. Thank you 2. I love you. Me and Sister Cochran talked a lot about how we love the apostles. We got our conference ensign but we have to share it which is no bueno cause we both want it all the time :].We are so lucky to have the general authorities.
Well, my desire to do missionary work has just gone down the tubes this past week. I don't know why, really. For one thing, I don't feel like I'm doing any good for anyone. And I have been feeling a lot of stress and I've come to discover that when I feel stress I just want to shut down. I'm not really sure why this is going on - like what triggered it - but me and Sister Cochran are going to try some things and then go to Sister Crawford if it doesn't get better. My problem with it all, is I feel like everyone just wants me to feel better so I can hurry and not be a burden to them anymore. Like, hurry to get better so you can work. Which is true. But this week I realized that the only person out here who wants me to get better just so that I'll feel better is probably my Savior. And I am so grateful for Him. He wants me to feel good so that I will feel good. Of course He wants me to work hard but I know that He cares about ME. And how I feel and what I want. I'm trying to be a good kid.
President Crawford's dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer this week, so will you all please keep him and his family in your prayers? They do so much for us and I know they will need the Lord's strength during this time. Losing a parent while you have all of this mission as a responsibility has got to be really difficult. I can't even imagine. I don't feel like I can check out for a single second, no matter what is going on, and so he must feel that strain X 1000.
We're listening to Christmas music already! We love it. It lifts our spirits so much!! I wish it was Christmas all year long. People are going to feel the Spirit of Christmas and that will make it much easier to respond to our message I know. I hope yall are enjoying the snow!!! I am so jealous. We wish we had snow here. At least it's cooler right? Sometimes we look back and we're like "Um... HOW did we last in 100 degrees every day in August???" I have no idea. Seriously, how did we do it??
Mom, thank you for the package. I'm loving the clothes!! Thanks for you letter too. I love hearing about what's going on at home. How is Grandma? Tell her I love her and that she is fabulous. Are you decorating a little bit? The weirdest thing is that I will be home for next Christmas!! Also weird - I get to talk to yall in like 6 weeks!! Like 40 days or something like that!!! I'm so excited.
Dad, thank you for your letter also!! I'm glad to hear that work is good. How did your mission president meeting go? I hope that things turn around in the area. Keep trying, good things are to come! Is the Stake doing anything for Christmas? The Stake here does a huge nativity thing and they invite the whole community. That will be the first weekend in December, so I will for sure be here for that.
James, how is school and work? How is life? Are you guys doing anything big for Christmas in your single's ward? What's new and fun in your life?
Jonny, your hair was SO LONG in your school picture!!! HOLY! How did basketball tryouts go? I prayed for you :] So that means, whatever happens, the Lord is in it. Cool huh?
I love you all so much. I'm sorry that I tell you guys about the difficult stuff. I hope you don't mind. I miss you and love you and am excited for what's going on in your lives.
Speaking of, any news from home or family that I should know about? Any weddings or babies or big events?
Love you all. Have a good week.
(Pictures: the new BANGS!)

No comments:

Post a Comment