Monday, November 28, 2011

It's my first big holiday away from home!

hi family! it is my first big holiday away this week. I go through moments where that is a bummer and moments when it's okay. So who knows. Thursday is an all-day p-day this week so it will be good. We just are able to e-mail and clean and shop today. But sister cochran is sick - she threw up this morning so we are not going to be doing very much of anything today.
We had a good week. Yesterday church was really good. It is funny that I am probably about to leave Kingwood. I think I will probaly be transferred away after the first weekend in December. I have NO idea what I'm going to do in another area. In some ways it's really exciting, because six months feels way too long to be in one area and I'm just ready for a change. But on the other hand - this is all I've ever known as a missionary. I will miss this area a lot. It's weird that I (most likely) won't serve in Kingwood again. And I will miss being close to the Crawfords so much. I love them. I hope you prayed for President Crawford, his Father passed away last week. He didn't go back for the funeral but Sister Crawford did. President is such a great person. I love him!
But church yesterday was good because of the Relief Society lesson - it was by our Stake President's wife Sister Paulsen and it was awesome. She talked about how Heavenly Father creates with words and how we do too. We need to use our words to uplift ourselves and others. She also said if you are having "one of those days" just shut yourself up in your room and read your scriptures until you feel better. And I'm like "YES. I totally agree with that... but as a missionary I don't feel like I can." Any perspective on that? Last night we taught a lesson to Doyle. He is so great. I really think he will be baptized because you can feel the change in him. It's pretty cool. He has had every anti- thing thrown at him. And he is still pluggin along. I respect him so much for that.
Saturday we rode our bikes all day long. Bikes are the key to a happy mission. For reals. I love riding bikes. And the weather is so nice now (80 is about the high- the HIGH!! Can you believe it?? I think I'm going to die next summer.) that we can ride around without dying. When I come home I am riding my bike all the time.
Friday we did some bike riding and we had dinner with the Stake President and his wife. President Paulsen was called by Elder Uchtdorf to be the Stake President right after President Uchtdorf was called to be an apostle. It was his first Stake President calling I guess. He was telling us about it and Sister Paulsen was told us that President Uchtdorf called their house and was like "Hello Sister Paulsen, this is Elder Uchtdorf." and she drew a complete blank of what to say. I can totally understand that. Anyway President Paulsen gave us the name of some part member families in the ward that he wants us to go see.
Thursday we had Zone Conference. It was pretty good but I hadn't slept well the night before so I didn't soak it up very well. Plus I feel like I no longer have any missionary friends haha. I just need to be a better friend right? Another reason I am going to be glad to get out of Kingwood is that I feel like there's mission drama here and I will not have it any more.
Wednesday we had a lesson with our investigator Sandy. She was blessed as a child (because her aunt and uncle are lds I guess) and it went so well. We asked her to be baptized and she said yes, but she's about to get engaged and she wants to talk to her fella about it. Understandable. But she texted us today and cancelled our appointment. Lovely. So we'll just pray for her. Nothing we can do.
Tuesday me and Sister Lundgren were on exchanges and that was really nice. We had another severe storm warning so we were not allowed to go out. That was lame. But we had a good day.
Monday was a good p-day. We played volleyball. Let me tell you a story about little old me. I am just so competitive that I won't try. Like on p-day, when we play stuff, I won't even try because I'm afraid of being really bad at it. I am working on just doing it, even though I really don't want to. Because it is so fun. It was a good pday. Me and Sister Lundgren were together from after pday to Tuesday night so we had dinner together at pei wei, because our dinner appointment cancelled on us.
That was pretty much the week.
Mom!!! We got your package and we are SO happy. Sister Cochran was thrilled with the ensign and I was SOOOOOOOOO thrilled - you have no idea! And we love the mormon tabernacle choir cd. Our one cd was getting kind of old. We got a christmas tree from a member this week. It is like 4 feet tall and white with white lights. We are decorating it this thursday. Also on thursday we are going to the church with the other missionaries and playing "president" with nerf guns. It should be really fun, I will let you know how it goes.
Madre how is everything? Good?
Dad - I got your talk and I loved it! I felt a little weird that the entire stake knows what a nut case I am, but that's okay. they probably already knew, right? :] I hope it helped somebody out, like you said, to hear my stresses. I am learning how to not be stressed. It is all encompassed in looking toward the needs of others. For some reason, it is really difficult to put my mind on others all the time - probably because these others are investigators who are dropping us or not progressing or I don't know what to do. But the more I do it, the better off I'll be. I'm learning. How is work for you? How is the Stake? Are you getting all geared up for christmas?
James it has almost been the whole transfer since I've heard from you! I hope to hear from you soon, because I know you have stuff to update me on. School, work, life, the chicas? You're so great. I hope you are having a good semester.
Jonny, Mom sent me your pictures... oh wait I think I already commented on the hair. Did I? Well, anyway, your hair was WAY too long :] shave it all off. congratulations on making the basketball team!! I knew you would, you're such a star. how is everything going? WRITE ME.
Is it snowing there? I bet it is. I miss the snow. It's hard to listen to christmas music when it's 80 degrees. Sick.
Um KATIE POULSON YOU ARE ENGAGED?!?!? I cannot believe that that's so exciting!! I wish I could be at your wedding!! You will have to write me once you are married and settled down and tell me how you met this fella and how you fell in love and etc. It is so crazy that you are getting married!! Cool, but crazy.
Since it is coming on Thanksgiving I have been thinking a lot about being Thankful and Grateful. That is how the Lord would have us be. Because we will do so much more good when we focus on the good things in our lives. There will always be hard things. There will always be something difficult going on in our lives. But we don't have to be consumed by it. We can let go of those things as we hold on to being grateful for what's good. Focus on what blessings you have. We have so much good in our lives. I'm thankful for you, my wonderful family. You are the number 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (wilsy:] ) things on my list of things to be grateful for. I am thankful for this country that we live in. I am thankful that I have the opportunity to serve the Lord on a mission. Sometimes I forget the "why" of me being here. I am so focused on how I'm doing and how I'm feeling that I forget why I am here. One of the reasons is because the Lord has blessed me so much - with a knowledge of the gospel and a family and His church. I am always in His debt, but it's the least I can do to serve Him in the ways that I am able to. I'm thankful for President and Sister Crawford. They are incredible and I can't believe that in one year I will just say adios to them and go separate ways. I love them. I am thankful for the other missionaries I have met. I am thankful to be companions with Sister Cochran. I am thankful for the hard lessons I am learning. I am thankful above all that my Father in Heaven sees me as who I can be and will not settle for less. He never will. I am thankful for that. And I'm thankful that my Savior is right there, alongside me, every single step of the way. He will not give up or give in or settle for less either. We're all on the road to perfection here, and They will not settle for less than that. Once we know the way, and we decide to go in the way, they are committed. 100% to getting us there. I AM SO THANKFUL FOR THAT. I am thankful for the leaders of the church. I am thankful for their love of all of us.
I'm thankful for the pretty awesome life I've had so far. I was talking to Sister Cochran last night and I realized I've had a really good life. I'm grateful for that. I'm grateful that you all get to get together on Thursday and think of things your thankful for. Do it.And then do it again the next day- think of things you're thankful for. It will change your life, I promise.
I love you. I'm still here, still workin on it all. I'm grateful for that too :]
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment