Howdy yall! I love each of you SO much. I can't even describe how much. President Monson invited us to take stock of our lives and look for the blessings of the Lord, so I did that in studies this morning. And yall were my very first things to be thankful for. Each of you. The best Dad in the world, the best Madre and best friend I've got, the most world class older brother and the most incredible little brother I've ever heard of. I tell everyone about yall all the time. I'm so proud of you and I love you. Yesterday my district leader found out that his mother will pass away in the next two days, she is very sick from cancer. I am so heartbroken for him. He's a good friend and a great missionary. But also he didn't want anyone to know (not that yall would tell anyone in our mission) but if you think of anything I could do to help, let me know. Maybe you could ask Daren what would have helped him from a sister missionary? I don't know. We are sad with him. Will yall pray for him and his family, please?

Wasn't Conference AMAZING???!?!?! AH! Seriously I loved it. Remember how they changed the minimum age requirement for Elders and Sisters?!??! We were shocked. I wish you could have seen every missionary's face because we were stunned. It's awesome. If that rule had been around when I was 19 I would have gone. I'm beyond glad that I came when I did to where I did, It was perfection. But this is exciting stuff. President and Sister Crawford were here yesterday so we talked to them about how they felt when the rule was announced. President said he is excited and we talked about how this is going to cause some definite problems with "locking of the hearts" and so... yeah. That's going to be fun. But all in all, I am happy. I was just stunned. So stunned and so excited. There are negatives and there are positives to it, but the bottom line is that is what the Lord wants so let's do it.

The talks that stick out to me were Elder Ballard's talk about the Honeybees (so amazing!) and Elder Eyerings talk about the pavilion. The themes of this conference to me were submission to the Lord's will, family, repentance and Christ and the Atonement. And leave it to Elder Oaks to boldly proclaim our position on the tough topics. Typical Oaks - and I mean that in the best way. President Uchtdorf is just my hero. His talks are always beautiful. That is the best word to describe them. How incredible was it to sing "Called to Serve"??? I loved it. And the music from the Sunday sessions was amazing. That one that had a soloist was incredible and the closing hymn Sister T says is in her Samoan hymnbook but it's definitely not in ours. The Be Not Weary one. Susan (who came to ALL SESSIONS!!!) loved the Mo Tab. They are exquisite. Didn't we all love Elder Hollands talk! I wrote in my notes, after he was done "Holland strikes again!" Because it's so true. What he said about missionaries who had raised their arm to the square and said "Having been commissioned of Jesus Christ"?? I was in awe. I loved it. There was so much about service in this conference. I am so grateful that we have the opportunity to serve for our whole lives. What else could be better? What else could be important? We are here to help each other home. We will all come back to God's presence, and now our job is to make sure we and those around us go back to stay. I love being a missionary. It is the most wonderful, happiest, best time of my life. I wish wish WISH that I could find words to describe it but I simply can't. I will pray for ways to be able to do it.

Officially I have 10 weeks left. That is the most heartbreaking thought I've ever had.

So. Sunday, yesterday, we had conference all day and then we talked to a less active and went to find a referral that the Elders gave us. He is named Gerard and he is rad. We taught him a purpose lessons (outside. In the 60 degree weather. dream boat) and we are going back to teach his family next week. It was a very good lesson. I love nothing more than teaching the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Saturday we had conference then dinner with the most loving less active couple on the planet. We want them to come back to church so bad, but they are having trouble just doing it. They had us over and we taught them about the covenant of baptism. We store contacted after that. Store contacting is lame, but when it's dark and we don't have anyone to see, we don't want to go in so we try to store contact.

Friday we had zone meeting in Orange and it was great. We talked about how we can use family history during finding and about how to work better with the members. I always love being in Texas. Then we went to try some potentials with no luck before we went and taught Gabriella and the girls. It was a good lesson. She said that she needs to read the Book of Mormon and I'm always like "Yes, yes you do." But she is very hesitant with the baptism thing. I love them so much, please pray for them.

Thursday we had weekly family and then we biked around a little bit. We saw Betty. She is just... ugh. We don't know what to do about Betty because she is not being honest with us. She is either losing her mind or lying. We had the hour of power on Thursday and found this awesome young family! They weren't like begging us to come back or anything but they were open and we are SO excited to go back over.

Wednesday we had waffles in the morning with Lora Monroe. Our best friend. We love her. She's the one that's on an externship here til December. She's way awesome. Then we went to see a less active and didn't have much more success until our lesson with Debra and Jozetta. She is awesome! Oh my goodness. I know the Lord can touch her heart and he already has but she is loyal to her church. Which is not a bad thing, I try to imagine what if it was the way I feel about our church and then someone else comes and missionary's at me. It would be really hard.

Tuesday we had dinner with Dan the Man! And his wife. I love them. We talked about general conference and invited them to watch it. She said she would. They love Sister Tuigamala and I and we love them oh so much. Our wonderful Bishop is going to go and work some magic there. He's just the best.

Monday was P day. I don't think anything noteworthy really happened.

That was our week backwards! This week is going to be amazing!! My final interview with President (before my exit interview that is) will be this week and then on Saturday we have another Tri Wizard tournament with the other missions! YES!! We get to see our MTC people one last time. Elder Tad R. Callister is coming!! How did I get so lucky to get so many general authorities on my mission?? Two apostles and three other general authorities. Amazing.

So. Family. Thanks for your letters/e-mails this week. I love yall. The post office will no longer forward our mail from the mission office, so to all my loyal readers and writers please send mail directly to

1531 Country Club Rd #911
Lake Charles, Louisiana 70605

Many thanks.

Dad, how are the missionaries for our stake? What are their names? I hope they are keeping busy. Heaven knows we have a LOT of less active work to do and if we focus on retention the Lord will provide people for us to teach.

Mom, how are you? How's life? How's my doggy? Are you enjoying this fall weather? What are you doing these days? I love you!!!

James, how did you like conference? WRITE ME. I want to hear from you. Not like I'm always thinking about it, but I am definitely going to need your help with coming off of a mission. That's like the last thing I want to do in the world.

Jonny thanks for your e-mail! I am so proud of you!!!! I'm excited for you too. I agree I think we're going to get along better now :] You're pretty great. What is a bowling ball?? Please explain that to me so I can avoid being it.

Family, yall are the very very best. I love you so much. My poor district leader is over there crying right now as he's reading his e-mails because his Mom is dying and I just want you all to please pray for him by name. Elder Walser. I know the Lord can help him and that we can too. I just am having a hard time thinking of what to do.

I love you. This gospel is true and this Church is Christ's. We are so blessed to have full access to the Atonement. Read the book of mormon, share it with someone. Pray for the opportunity to be of service in this most important way. "After all is said and done the greatest and most important duty is to preach the gospel." We're lucky! We have important things to share and do. Let's do it!!!

LOVE, Sister Hicken