Hey family. I'm back in Texas on exchanges for the day! It feels good to be back in Texas. I love Texas with all my heart. But I am excited and anxious to get back to work in Lake Charles. I had a major attitude adjustment this week. I'll get to it. It comes Saturday night. Stay tuned.
So. Last Monday was a wierd pday. We were running around doing errands all day long, we didn't really do anything fun. But it was good to get a lot of things done. That night we had dinner with an awesome active member family in our ward, the Courvilles. They love the missionaries. We talked to them about 3 Nephi 11 when Heavenly Father introduces Christ to the Nephites. We talk about how His voice is described and then we talked about what he says about His son. And what He would say about us if He were to introduce us. Would he say He was well pleased? Would He say that we had glorified His name to the degree that we are able to? It was a good lesson, but it took ALL night. So we didn't see anyone.
Tuesday we had a lesson with Betty and invited her to be baptized. It went well, but she is still confused about what church she wants to join. If she wants to be baptized into our church or "her church". So... we've got a lot to do. We also taught a less active woman who is active at heart but refuses to come to church. AH. But we asked her to share the gospel with one of her friends. So that might spark something.
Wednesday we tried to go teach Wayne, our potential that tried to give us back the book of mormon, but he didn't answer. So we saw a less active over by his house. She refuses to pray because it's a ritual. There's some stubborn folks in Lousiana. Then we saw Susa in the afternoon, with Sister Trahan from the ward. It went very well. We talked to her about Joseph Smith. Then we saw a less active woman named Kizza. Kizza is black and LOVES sister Tuigamala because she's not white. So. Yeah. She's inactive but she used to be the gospel doctine teacher.
Thursday was our District Leaders birthday so the senior couple in our ward had us over for lunch. They go home in ten days! They are so excited. They are great missionaries. Then we saw Betty and talked to her about the Book of Mormon. We also saw Ethel, the old woman who has dementia. She is so wonderful. I love her so much. We always sing to her. We had the hour of power with the Burnthorns, and then saw Brother Boise. Oh Brother Boise. He is quite stubborn too. He knows the church is true, and he comes to church sometimes, but he doesn't want to go back to the temple and has no desire to stop drinking coffee. It's not that he can't go to heaven if he drinks coffee, but he definitely can't go to heaven if he doesn't want to obey heavenly father. But he's an awesome guy. I really like him.
Friday was district meeting and it was fine. I had a terrible dream on Thursday night so Friday I was kind of out of it, and we ended up having a comp inventory halfway through the day. Because we were both being really prideful. UGH pride. I hate it. But we are both committed to working hard to overcome our pride. Or try to. We also saw a less active who joined the church a few years ago and is just seems to have fallen off the bandwagon.
Saturday was a good day. We had AWESOME studies and were so excited to see the people... and it was raining so hard and I love when it rains so hard here. WE saw susan and did service with her and talked about how she can recieve revelation through church attendance. She said she would pray during the sacrament for an answer. I wanted to have been bolder and say "PRAY FOR A DATE SUSAN!" but I didn't. I don't want her to cry because I feel so mean if she does. We kind of had a terrible night on saturday night. We just were not connected to our purpose and we didn't have anything to do so we kind of just cupcaked forever. And we both felt so guilty about it. And it was saturday night that I realized I just need to go and do what I need to do. I have been so concerned with how much is our part how much is another persons part, how much is my companions part, and all of those things really don't matter. It matters what I can do. What my part is. And if I know what I can do, and I don't do it, I will be so unhappy.
Sunday was a wonderful day. Can I tell you how much I LOVE fasting. Everything is so much more clear when I fast. A zillion times more clear. And I love fasting. It was fast sunday and we had a great fast and testimony meeting and great lessons. And I was just way more proactive and it made me so happy.
Yesterday was labor day and Zone pday. It was fun ish. I don't know anyone out here and so I am like way overwhelmed by the big groups of people that I don't know. It was good though. I love my Zone. And my zone leaders. I have just had wonderful Zone leaders for my whole mission. I think being a zone leader is totally the place to be as a missionary. Being an assistant would be cool sometimes and totally lame other times, and being a zone leader I just think would be fun.
So I'm doing well. Thank yall for all your support and love. Thanks for your e-mail dad. It sounds like yall had a great week! Congrats on the deal!! That's awesome. Mom, thanks for checking on that thing for me. :] I'll be alright. James how are you??!? I need you to write me a letter! It's been far too long. How is everything? You are great. Jonny. HOLY, I wish I could be there tomorrow when you get that envelope. I expect a letter from you. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!! AHH I AM FREAKING OUT!! :] My guesses for your destination are: New York or Lima, Peru. yeah buddy!
I love yall so much. I am so grateful to be a missionary. I am so grateful to know the Savior. I am so grateful that conference is coming up!!!!!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!! We are so blessed. Love yall.
Love, Sister Hicken
OH MY BIGGGG P>S> President Crawford changed the music rule!!!!! AHHHH!!!!!!!! So, there is a certain CD that I would LLOOOVE to have. It is on that stack of cds on my desk that says "For when President changes the music rule" and it is a burned cd that says "Sister Hicken" on it. It's from Mikelle. I'd love that one. But other than that I'm easy. I only have three months left I don't need a whole ton of new cds that I'll just have to mail home :]
and oh yeah, MIKELLE??? HELLO YOU HAVE BEEN HOME FOR A MONTH WRITE TO ME ASAP!!!!!!! love you.