Wednesday, June 13, 2012

happy graduation jonnay

Jonny you are graduated!! That is so neato. I think you're probably on senior trip right now too. I went to Lake Powell when I graduated, you are just following in my footsteps. I guess you're going to BYU after all huh? :] Just kidding. How was graduation yall? I remember mine, how that teacher traipsed up and down the rows of kids, grabbing beach balls and stabbing them with her pen. ahaha it was so funny.
This past week was great. Let me tell yall about it.
Monday we went on exchanges. Sister Cochran and I went to Baytown and it was so necessary. It was so wonderful to talk to her. She is having a kind of difficult time right now, feeling the need to be so much better and overwhelmed with her companion and the area. Her companion is really awesome, Sister Mokeaki, but she is still learning english and it is difficult sometimes for people to communicate with her. Poor Mokeaki I can't believe how hard that would be. Anyway, it was a good exchange because we were able to talk a LOT about what she needs to do in her area (PLUS she's been in baytown for going on six months. I know how rough THAT is to be in one area and think youre going to stay there forever). So we talked and I was able to help her. It was really nice cause I was able to use some of the things that i've learned from struggling on my mission to help her. We are just meant to be friends. I can't believe I haven't always known her. We are just real best friends :] Can't wait for you to meet her!! T minus six months. Way too soon.
Tuesday we were still on exchanges and we didn't have a lot of sucess. But I felt rejunviated when I got back to La Porte. I was kind of sad not to be with sister cochran any more but it felt good to be home and with Sister erickson. She did great leading the area for the first time. I hope that I get transferred for her sake so she can know that she CAN lead an area. It will be hard and imperfect, but she can do it.
Wednesday we met with Berenis and we taught her some more commandments. She is not ready to be baptized becuase she can't commit to it. But it's because she doesn't have any support. It's hard to make big changes without support. We are going to keep working with her and teaching her how to make commitments. She is great. She said that she knows that God wants her to be baptized and that she wants to be baptized, but she also doesn't want to be baptized into our church. And we explained that baptism is the way it is in our church because of the preisthood authority. It will only do what you want it to do because it is done by the power and authority of God. We also met with Angie. It is so awkward to meet with angie because she just stares at us and we don't know what we are supposed to teach her. Also her kids are so cute but they want our attention and we can't always give it to them. So it's just a predicament. We also had dinner with the Edwards - they have this beautiful house that they are remodeling a little bit. but it's a really old house so it's more like they are restoring it. Oh my word, it is so gorgeous. It's old, you can tell it's old and the style is different from my style but the architecture is awesome. Mom, you would love it. I also found a neighborhood that we could walk when you come here with me. It's in shore acres, right by where I live. It's really nice. We had our correlation meeting. Once again, the difference one person can make is astounding. Sister Manzo is changing missionary work in this ward. It's really encouraging. I love her so much.
Thursday we had lunch with Morris is Southern Komfort Kitchen again. Really good. We had hour of power with the Pearsons and it went really well. I love hearing people's conversion stories. She said that her first set of missionaries came walking up her drive way and I think she was smoking a cigarette or something? And she said "So yall are going to convert me?" And they said "No I think we'll let the spirit do that." And she was really impressed by that. I think I'll use that if it ever comes up because it's true. we aren't going to convert anyone. We are simply instruments in God's hands. Neato.
Friday we had our first district meeting. let me tell you about our district, it's rad. We have us, Elder Backman (my old zone leader, now the district leader) and his greenie Elder Jensen they are opening up the Pasadena 1st Area as it used to be a south mission area, Elder Hope and Elder Marlar (who also used to be a zone leader) opening up Broadway 1 area to our mission, and the Fuits. They are a senior couple from Utah. Dad, can you ask Grandma if she knows a Kathy Hicken? From Utah? We've got to be related, i'm SURE. It was a great meeting. Elder Backman is a really good leader. I admire that about him a lot. He just gets inspiration and then asks us to do things and then if we dont' do them he asks us why and he doesn't sugar coat his disappointment. That is really annoying sometimes but it's genuine and I appreciate that a lot. It makes me want to be accountable because I know he's going to expect me to do it. We, for example, are now supposed to get 13 Quality Contacts a week. HA! That is such a spanishland goal (a quality contact is when you contact someone and set up a return appointment with them). But he wants us to get it so we're going to try harder. I know our leaders are inspired, though, because I've been praying for the strength and courage to talk to everyone and that's kind of what our district meeting was about. We have good leaders.
Saturday we did area book work for a little because our service fell through, and then we taught Brock, our investigator from the hour of power that was crying, remember? he's doing okay. And Brother Raymundo a RC/LA that we are trying to reactivate and had dinner at the Carpres an active family in our ward that have 4 adopted children. They're cool. And then we went to see Brother and Sister B. They are the sweetest old couple. Brother B is the stake patriarch and Sister B just hugs everyone and calls them "darlin" and she is a true southern lady :] I love the south!!
Yesterday we had church. OH MY GOSH I love church. I love our ward. I missed it a lot last week. I didn't realize how much until we got to church and I felt like "ahhh, yes. This feels good and normal and I am glad to be back." Our Bishop is back in town and it is good to have him back. Also we had a church tour after church with Sister McCuen, she is a returned missionary and served in the Italy, Milan mission (just like you Aunt Cindy!!) she said she had a lot of success on her mission but that it was REALLY hard work. Speaking of, Sister Ericksons dad served in Milan around the same time as Cindy. I wonder if she remembers an Elder Mark Erickson? That would be so cool if she does. Then we taught Jonathan. Oh my gosh, I really love Jonathan. And we are finished teaching him the lessons. And we don't want to be, but we are probably going to have to drop him. AH I have never wanted someone to be converted this much. Not just baptized, we dont' just want him dunked. We want him healed and converted and happy. And the gospel can do it, but he has to let it. I know that he would be so happy. OH so happy if he did what we're asking him to do. Jesus Christ can heal all wounds, even the ones that we're trying to prevent from happening. So if we just trust in him and live our lives, He will take good care of us. I know this. I am trying to apply it to what I REALLY want: to talk to everyone. I figure if I focus on it enough, then I will do it. Oh, Sister Crawford has helped me to change my life with that concept. Remember that mind coach book that she loves? Well sister erickson got it last week and we read it together and I thought again about how my life changed completely when I stopped doing "Guilt Beatings" When I change the word "Should" to "Want to" becuase I really want to do these thigns, I'm just afraid of them. So instead of feeling like "oh, I should talk to everyone" which in turn makes me feel like a failure, I think "oh, I want to talk to everyone." and then I know that it's my goal and it's just hard but if I want it I can work for it. Does that make sense? I love it. I love the Crawfords so much. Anyway, it was a good lesson with Jonathan. i'm glad I'm learning what it means to really love your investigators and desire their salvation. I'm sure I have more to learn, but this experience with Jonathan has made it super apparent.
So. How are yall?
Mommy, thank you thank you thank you thank you for the package!! My retainer is already moving my teeth back into place. It's very good. I have to take ibuprofen before I put it in or it will wake me up in the night haha. But it's getting better so thank you! Also thank you for the pistachio's specifically! I LOVE THEM. Oh I was so excited for specifically them. How is everything? How is work? How is summer? Dad said you went up to take care of Grandma last weekend? That is so good. I know that our Heavenly Father wants us to look after Grandma right now. I wish I was there to help. How is she? You're the best. How are you feeling?
Dad, thanks for your e-mail! You always tell me the thigns I want to hear about from you! I love it. How is work going? I am excited to come home and learn more about what you are doing with your job. It still doesn't make perfect sense to me, but I get it generally. Do you start prepping for next Stake Conference right away? did I tell you that I liked your talks?? I did! I love that you talked about Arise and Shine Forth! How is everything? Did you and Mom get HCT tickets or just went to that one! i'm totally jealous. I don't know if I told you, but easter weekend we went to visit Lauro and Maria and they were watching the Ten Commandments on TV and I was like "I know exactly what my Dad is doing right now!" haha don't tell me if you weren't doing that :] I just know that you love when they show the ten commandments on tv at easter. So do I :]
James, what is up! I didn't send your letter, I'm so sorry. But how are you? I feel like it's been too long since I've known how you are doing? How is summer school? How is work? How are the chicas? I had a dream that you dumped a girl and dad told me afterward and I was like "What?? I didn't even know he was dating anyone." and I was mad. ... so... if that happens in real life I'll probably be mad. :] Hows your friends? Dad said he's marrying Carter and Carter's girlfriend! Nice. That will be sweet.
Jonny, how was powell?? WAY FUN? Tell me about graduation? I am going to make you write me a letter somehow. I just want to hear what's going on and how you are. Tell me how you feel about what's going on in your life. DO IT. You have time, I know you have time. :] Love you.
Yall are the best. I love you so much. I wrote President today and asked him to change the music rule haha. So i'll let you know if he does. I LOVE the CD you sent me though Mom!! I take it in the car and then in the house when we go in at night and I love it!! I searched for Sar's mom in the pictures but I coudln't find her. That first song, the Praise to the Lord, The Almighty/FanFare is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! Ah. I love it. Did you listen to it before? I love you! The church is Christs and the gospel is the truth. I love it and I'm trying to be a good representative. It's going too fast. This mission is the best thing I've ever done. Hands down. The most fun and the most difficult. I have never been more grateful for anything in my life. I love being in TExas! I hope yall are ready to come back. :]
Love, Sister hicken
PS WRITE TO ME!!!!! I want to hear from YALL. ALL yall! :]

No comments:

Post a Comment