Monday, July 18, 2011

Serenity Now!

Monday, July 18, 2011 4:49 PMFrom: "Jillian Hicken"

Download AllSAM_2801.JPGSAM_2802.JPGI write little notes in my planner when something happens that I want to write you about. And I can't remember why I wrote "Serenity now!" in my planner, but I did. I'm pretty sure we were talking about serenity in church or a lesson, but I just really do not remember. It made me laugh though, so "Serenity now!"

This last week was a good week, but a very interesting week. Sis L had a sort of anxiety attack. She has had one before, but this was not a total shocker. It was a little scary, but it also meant I really had to step up to the plate, which was good for me. I had to take charge and to comfort her and be the one in control, you know? And so far I've been letting her do a majority of things because I don't feel like I know how and it freaks me out and things. But this week I had to be in charge, and call people that I wasn't comfortable calling and do things that I wasn't comfortable doing. So, in a way, it was a really good thing that happened. And we talked to Sister Crawford for a long time about it. Sister Crawford just finished her masters degree in Psychology. It was so helpful and she talked to us about literally changing negative thoughts into positive ones. For example, "What if I go here and feel bad?" Recognize that thought, and then say "What if I go here and feel good?" That's the basic concept. She said writing things out really helps, and I was like "Um, yes. I agree 100%." Because you know me, I love writing. It's so healthy for me.

However, we had a baptism kind of drop into our laps! I believe I told you about the Crosby's. Well Sister Crosby's sister is named Karen, and she just moved into the neighborhood. I met her my second full day in Texas, and I just really liked her. She has come to church for the past 3 weeks with her sister (bada-bing, right??) and this week she said "How soon can I get baptized?" HAAAAAA! We are so excited. We have tried to meet with her before, but she has been moving so it's been difficult. We are seeing her on Tuesday for a Church Tour and we will talk to her about being baptized July 30. KAREN! We love her and we are so excited. She has to quit smoking, but we will tackle that. She can do it.

Also, this week I have discovered a profound love for Gatorade. It is SOO good when we are tracting. Oh my gooooosh. This week we had lemon lime, and I highly recommend it. A little sweet, a little tangy. I'm going to see about being a Gatorade spokesperson, because I seriously love it so much. We tract every day, and I love it. We meet the most wonderful people and the craziest people.

This week is leadership training for Sister Lundgren, so I will be "on my own" as in without a trainer. And I'm a little nervous. But I also think this will be good for me. I need to stop leaning so much on her. I'm getting more used to being a missionary. It is such a blessing. I'm grateful that it didn't just snap on, and become immediately a breeze. Because I've had to work for it, and learn from it and I appreciate it so much more. Bueno.

So, I call Sister Lundgren "sister miyagi" sometimes, because she is training me. haha I don't actually call her it, but we talk about calling her that. This week we found out the name of the Kid, so she can call me "Daniel-son". we are so funny.

We have had a lot of contact with the missionaries around us this week because we did a Zone fast, did I already tell you about this? We fasted for 9 days. (That's how they announced it in Zone meeting. I was like "Um, what? Like Ramadan style where we eat after sundown? Because I'm pretty sure we will die if we don't eat for 9 days...") But what we did was each companionship fasted for a day, for the whole Zone. It was so cool. Our day was Tuesday. It was great and we just finished yesterday so now today is ZONE P-DAY! We got permission from whoever to watch BEST TWO YEARS! I'm so excited.

We also had "New Missionary Training" this week. I came away from it with the best attitude I've had since being here in Texas. I just felt good and happy and motivated to be "The Fourth Missionary" (That is an incredible talk, you should try and find it and read it. By Laurence Corbridge. I'm obsessed and I know the SON of the man who wrote it. Nuts.) It was everyone from the MTC that is in THE mission. It was so good to hear from the Crawfords and from the Assistants. I really like the Assistants. We had dinner with them this week and they are also non-believers in Jimmer-in-the-NBA. Whatever. None of y'all have SEEN him play. in the flesh. I believe in him.

Speaking of movies, now HARRY POTTAH has come out. I have heard excellent things about it from members here. Did you guys go?? Please go. I wish I could go haha. Go, and tell me how it is. And then James and Jonny, read the books, mmkay?

So, we've been on this endless hunt for post cards. Post cards that say "Houston!" so we can send them to friends and family, you know? Nada. Nothing. No one has post cards. We checked at a couple gas stations, and we walked into one of them and guess what I saw??? A stand up poster of the Dos Equis man!!!!!!!!!! I took a picture with him. I will send it to you. It was so funny, Sister L had never seen the commercials so I tried to explain them. I just can't do him justice. It's way too funny. "Stay thirsty, my friends."

James, THANK YOU!!!!!! for your letter. I am not kidding, I just beamed the whole time I read it. Thanks always for the advice, I take it all and use it often. I'm glad you are sticking with Tony. I think 7 weeks is as far as I've ever gone, so keep it up. You will be as cool as he is when you are finished, so that is a good goal, right? :] haha. Mike is coming for so long that will be so fun! And how's the Elders Quorum? Have you given Chris Hodgson a calling yet? And did Chase Haslam ever decide where to go to school? Also, the pictures from the trip are on my laptop and they also should be on my external hard drive.. if you can find that. I have no memory of where it is. So let me know if you can't find them and I can send them back on an SD card or something because I have them still on my camera.

JONY. ha. Just kidding. JONNY. (But, grandma's name is Joan. not Jon. So It is not like putting a Y on grandma's name. But I will spell your name right from now on.) Thanks for your e-mail! I'm SOOOO glad you liked Trek. I LOVED Trek because I loved my family and my Ma and Pa. Did you love them all? Good job with the women's pull. That one chica who wouldn't get on the handcart was just having a feminist moment. I used to have those, remember? Thanks for writing me. I love hearing from you. YOUR BIRTHDAY is SOON! What do you want? I'm searching so hard to find a post card for you. I will find something good.

Mom, you are just the best. I am writing you a little letter today. I seriously brag about how my mom is the best missionary mom in the world, and you are!! Thanks for your letters and for sending me the talk and quote. I think that the mail was just messed up around the 4th of July, because the letters are coming more regularly now. But I got all those cards you sent on the same day haha because of the weird mail stuff going on. How's work? How's my doggy? I hope you and Dad are still walking him at night. Thanks for always believing in me and telling me that I can do it. I appreciate it.

Padre! Thank YOU for your letter. Your advice is just so appropriate and I'm so blessed to have had you as a Bishop and as a Stake President and especially as a Dad. How is the Stake?? It sounds like Trek was a success, and that you ate very well on it. LUCKY! How is work going? How is everything? I had this one day a few weeks ago, when I was feeling stressed out about being a missionary and for some reason I thought, "I need my Dad to pray for me." and I know that you were praying for me. It was like nobody elses prayers would do but my Dad's in that moment. It is so interesting to see the church from the angle of a missionary. I bet that the missionaries just love you, Dad. We love our leaders here so much. We couldn't do this without them.

I spoke in church yesterday! hahaha. I asked the ward to do one thing this week to improve their relationships with their neighbors. If they hadn't met their neighbors, to go meet them. If they hadn't formed a relationship with them, to go do so. I know that as they do this, missionary opportunities will fall into their laps. Not necessarily baptsims immediately, but people will ask them about their beliefs and they can plant those seeds. Because missionaries in a few years need to harvest the seeds. We need to harvest, not plant. So I thought it was a good idea, to have them reach out in love as the Savior did to all their neighbors. Matthew 5:46-48.

I don't think I have more to say. I really love you all so much! I was thinking last night about how much I just ADORE my family and my friends. I'm so blessed. There are so many missionaries who do not have the support that I am SO blessed by. Thank you. I am trying to be a good missionary. But, like you said Mom, it will take time to become the missionary that I can be. I want you to know that I'm working on it. Thank you for writing me - I still need that so much! Sister Lundgren feels like she knows you all because I'm constantly talking about you or something you wrote in your letters. I just LOVE y'all. (You better believe it. Y'all is becoming super normal. I don't use it that much, but when I do it feels incredibly normal).

Have a good week! Let me know what you are doing in your life!! I want to hear about your lives SO BAD!! But don't worry, I'm focused haha.

Love,

Jillian

P.S. Could you get the Weavers address? Sister Crawford said she called sister Weaver this week. It just thrilled me to hear that. I want to write them and see how it's going. I don't think the Crawfords even sleep at all, ahah, so I just think the Weavers are crazy busy.

P.P.S. I am going to send you a picture of the Elders in our district. The picture just explains them so incredibly well, way better than I ever could haha. So look for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment